Monday, March 9, 2009

So sweet!

I know I've mentioned in my profile that I teach students with emotional disturbances in a seperate facility. I really do have some pretty terrific kids. This is my first year with them and I've already seen so much progress from the beginning of the school year. Not only that, but people who have seen the kids in the past comment on their progress as well. We've truly become a family in my classroom. I'm so proud of each and every one of my students.

My students have become increasingly curious and interested in the fact that I'm a vegetarian, pointing out I don't each chicken or hamburgers. We don't have a cafeteria at my school so all the food is picked up from the local high school by someone from my school. The kids don't get a choice, it's either what they offer or pack your lunch thanks to the peanut butter recall. Most of my students buy regardless because their parents can't afford to send lunch. One student in particular one day didn't want her sausage so she sat it on the back table where I was eating. She was concerned about setting it back there since I'm a vegetarian and don't eat sausage. She kept apologizing for setting it there.

Well, today that student came in beaming with her folder in hand. (Because bookbags are banned in my school.) She told me she had something special for me. She reached into her folder and pulled out 8 different recipes, all vegetarian. How sweet was that? She said her mom told her she could have some old magazines to cut up and use for whatever so she decided to cut out some recipes for me.


Thanks to my sweet student, I now have recipes for green onion corn muffins, greek-style salad, sauteed spinach with roasted red peppers, iceberg wedges with buttermilk dressing, potato salad with cornichons and capers, basil baked tomatoes, calico black bean salad, and orange citrus salad. Guess we'll have to try them out, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so thoughtful and sweet! You must be leaving a really good impression on these kids, thanks for being an awesome teacher!

    ReplyDelete